Sunday, December 27, 2009

Keeping It Simple



This year was my first Christmas away from everything that is familiar. No Christmas music coming from every speaker starting the day after Thanksgiving. No mall Santa's. No commercials reminding me that the "best gifts" can be bought at certain locations. No hustle and bustle of holiday sales. No making out lists of wants and must haves.
In Mozambique it is simple. Here joy does not come wrapped in paper. Happiness can't be bought in a store. The smiles were pure and the hearts are grateful for gifts that most would have considered rubbish. This Christmas we celebrated with the boys by reading the story of Christ's birth, taking communion, having a nice chicken lunch (they only get chicken twice a year....very special!), giving out gifts, and then eating a cake. The gifts consisted of pencils, small bouncing balls, notebook paper, candy, socks, a spoon, and 50-100 mets ( a little less than $2-$4). As they opened their gift, their face lit up with excitement. You would have thought we just gave them the latest gaming system, a new laptop, or a million dollars. They were so happy. They were so grateful.
The entire day was amazing. The Lord is so good. It is still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that the our Father loves us so much that He left Heaven, became flesh, was born in a manger, and lived life on earth. He walked and lived among us because He loves us. I often wonder how He feels when He sees us try and fill our lives with so much stuff. I wonder if He is ever thinking "Man, it is so simple. Love Me. Love others."
Our Saviour has offered us the ultimate gift....eternal life with Him. Man, what an honor....what a responsibility....what a joy...what a reason to celebrate!
I am so thankful our Creator has allowed me to be in Mozambique for this time. I am so thankful He has reminded me through the faces of these kids that His love can be simple. My heart is full. This year I received the most precious of gifts....being a small part of these boys lives.
Faliz Natal!

1 comment:

Pam Loper said...

Calli;
Just a note to let you know what a blessing your blogs are. It is such a reminder of how much we take for granted here in the States and yet still long for more and more. I envy the time you have to experience what true gratefulness and appreciation look like. May God richly bless you as you continue to serve and bless all of those that are served by you!! Blessings on a wonderful 2010~