Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Eu Te Amo


I am writing to let you know what God has been doing and, by faith, what He will continue to do in Africa. For the last year, I had the privilege to show and spread the love of Jesus to the people of Mozambique. We have seen and experienced many things---some full of joy and some full of sorrow--but all have been a part of the Lord's plan.

While in Dondo, Mozambique, I was the children's director at an Iris Ministry Children's Center (www.irismin.org). Along with amazing Mozambican leaders, we oversaw the daily needs and activities of 28 boys who have suffered the loss of one or both parents. These needs range from hygiene to schooling and everything in between. For example, I had a boy come up to me one day and with all seriousness he told me he had snakes in his poop! Trying to contain my laughter, I told him we would take care of it. We then went to go get some de-wormer. Ahhh....the joys of being a "mom" to boys!

As you can imagine, 28 boys can create quiet the demand. However, it was and is a complete honor to serve them in such a way. While providing for their physical needs are extremely important, it does not compare to the importance of their spiritual needs. I wish I could express to you the growth I have seen in these boys. I wish you could see the expressions on their faces when they finally get how much the Lord loves them. The excitement they have is contagious. Some of the boys have opened up significantly and love to share about Christ at our weekly family group. But the boys knowledge of the importance of Christ in their lives and telling others about Him, is not contained by the centers walls! I had the incredible opportunity to be invited to one of the boys’ home in the city. As we were riding a chopa (an over crowded bus!) to his house, he kept telling me he was full of shame and would not look at me. He was so humiliated for me to see where he had come from. I kept telling him that no matter what, I will always love him and his past does not dictate his future. It was hard to see him this way. But once we arrived at the collapsing mud hut with sewage water running in the front door and he saw that I was not going to run away, he began to relax. We talked with his family for over an hour. And as we were about to leave, I suggested he and I pray with his family. At first he was reluctant, but he did it. One the way home, he told me that was the first time he ever prayed in front of his family! WOW. It may seem like a small feat, but in a country that has a stronghold with witchcraft, a boy stepping up in front of his family to pray to the One True God is a very big deal.

I have many stories of redemption and breakthrough I could share about the boys. They are growing in the Lord and turning into mighty men for His glory. It is such an honor to be a part of what the Lord is doing in Dondo and throughout Mozambique. I know my work for Him is not finished in Dondo---it is not finished with the boys.

I will be returning to Mozambique on January 25, 2011 and continue serving His people in this great country. I look forward to returning home and being with the boys, missionaries, Mozambicans, and our rat killing cat-Paka!

No comments: